Tuesday, December 14, 2010

the gawd awful truth....it isn't always easy to forget

This next read will be somewhat of a controversial topic, it’s about cheaters
Not such a lovely first line up there, but it was on my mind and I thought I’d share with you my thoughts on the selfish act of betrayal.  My apologies if you find this offensive, this is just simply how I feel.

So I was on the phone the other day with a good friend of mine of whom I haven’t talked to in ages.  We had our normal catch-up conversation...how have you been what’s new, you get the idea.  As we chatted and talked about relationships with our past partners we came to the subject of being cheated on.  IT’S THE WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD! Now I have been a victim of a cheating boyfriend...was I really a victim of a cheater, can you call someone who has been betrayed by someone who supposedly loved them a victim? Is this something that I caused? or was it  only selfish act that caused them to cheat?   

As we were talking I recalled a moment in my life where an ex-boyfriend was introduced to my social circle.  He had been spending a lot of time with close friends of mine.  At first it was sort of strange to see this person on a regular basis but as time went on we had seen each other plenty and talked so much that I began to feel that old warm familiar feeling that one would feel toward a loved one.  We would great each other ever so kindly and talk like nothing had changed between us...like we hadn’t missed a beat (a bit cliché) and as I begun to wonder about rekindling an old romance and how great things would be, other feelings had started to surface. I began to recall a not so happy time.  A time where this same person had broke my heart because they had decided to spend a night with another person, he had cheated on me.  Although things were great now, I would always be haunted by this person’s betrayal.  This was a feeling that I couldn’t shake.  And even though it is said “the past is in the past” this awful awful act was something that had troubled me.  They say that people break up for a reason, this was defiantly something that killed us, our innocent love... what was once so great was now ruined and let me tell you something, once it’s ruined you can’t get it back.  You’re relationship is now in a new place, a place that should you decided to work it out and battle the insecurities, or battle with yourself to keep your head up, that same relationship will never be the same.  

 To this day whenever I see this person we say hi, he still has that twinkle in his eye and always asks how things are going, he mentions good things that he’s heard about me and tells me a little of what’s going on with him, but that’s about it.  We part ways with “it’s good to see you” and carry on with our lives.

As you can see this is something that I have never forgotten, perhaps it is something that I should forget but I see it as something of a lesson learned by both parties.  A lesson of life and the hardships that we face and although this topic is somewhat of a sad read it show's us that we shouldn't always think of ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment